Feeling heaviness in eye after cataract operation. What is causing this and cure?

My father had a cataract op in each eye 18 months ago. Since then he has not been well although has had no problems with his vision. He has now seen 6 doctors but no body seems to be able to find anything wrong. His symptoms are extremely heavy eyes with a great deal of puffiness, we are all commentating that his eyes look much smaller. On top of this is is permanently exhausted. He is on a steroid 6 a day for asthma and that has just been reduced (he's always had asthma) and is on 6mg weekly of methotrexate for arthritis. He is off theses just now, his bloods are okay but glucose slightly raised as is white cell count although not significantly.
Apart from this he is an active outgoing 72 year old. He feels it's all centred in his head and he just cannot figure it out. He is only fine if he is sitting or l lying down, I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 56 minutes later

This is not a very uncommon situation after cataract surgery.It is more of a psychological problem.Many patients feel the heaviness because they know that something is implanted in their eyes.In reality these intraocular lenses are almost weightless.
Secondly, the eyes look smaller as one ages because the upper lid sags down a little due to loss of muscle tone.The puffiness of the eyes is due to steroid intake.

I would advise you to reassure your father that nothing is wrong with his eyes.You can apply artificial tears (Refresh Tears eye drops) four times a day for symptomatic relief.

I am sure that if anything was wrong with his eyes, the doctors would have found out by now.

I hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer any furthur queries,if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah