Feeling heaviness and shortness of breath after taking nitrofurantoin for bladder infection. Is it side effect?

Oct 2013

macrobid nitrofurantoin monohyd/m-cryst, I took for a bladder infection july 2013. I am feeling heaviness and shortness of breath. are side effects immediate or months later? Also I was contacted about a listeria finding in a batch of potato salad I purchased and partially consumed. Had already thrown out container when I received the recall. Symptoms?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: usually allergic reaction within minute to hours Detailed Answer: Hello dear Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX I understand your concern. Side effects of Nitrofurantoin like heaviness and shortness of breath are immediate presenting symptoms to allergic reaction. Usually presents within minutes to hours of drug administration. Not for months after administration. The symptoms of listeriosis include fever, muscle aches, and sometimes nausea or diarrhea. If infection spreads to the nervous system, symptoms such as headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, or convulsions can occur. Hope I answered your query. Any further information you can ask me in follow up query. Regards.