Feeling heart palpitations while running. Should I be concerned?

I have been training for a marathon since March and did already 5 runs at 18+ miles without any problems. 4 days ago I suddenly felt uneasiness/heart racing during a 4 mile run. It only latest a few seconds and I changed to walking immediately. Whenever I started running again this feeling came back. I rested the last 3 days and tried a 3 mile run today. The same uneasiness/heart racing returned for a few seconds at a time. I did not take any walking breaks to see what happens. Towards the end of my run the uneasiness happened less frequently. I am planning on running a marathon in 4 days and I am a little bit concerned. Should I be? I have always been very healthy and never had any heart related issues. Also, this is my 4th marathon but the first one in 5 years.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 50 minutes later

According to your history, it does not look a serious problem like myocardial infarction. However, there is condition known as HOCM i.e. hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy, which occurs in young athletes.

Another possibility in maximum cases of chest pain is muscular pain.

My suggestion for you would be to consult board certified cardiac consultant. He/she will examine you and suggest investigation accordingly. Do not do any extreme exercise till you consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; feel free to ask anything else.

Thanking you.