Feeling headache, dizzy, nausea and sick. Slurred speech and memory loss. What is going on?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
MY HEAD IS THROBING WITH A HEAD ACHES WHICH FEELS LIKE ITS IN TEH CENTER OF MY SKULL, I FEEL DIZZY, SICK EVERY DAY, NAUSEA, MY BODY FEELS WEAK AND ALMOST AS IF MOVING MY ARM IS A DIFFICULT TASK RECENTLY MY SPEACH HAS STARTED TO SLURR AND I AM HAVING TROUBLE REMEMBERING THINGS I WAS TOLD TWO MINITS BEFORE
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
What is your blood pressure now?
Throbbing headache with weakness, slurring of speech is not a good sign and it indicates possibilities of cerebro-vascular accident and migraine with hemiplegia.
Do you have any aggravating factor for headache such as lack of sleep, light exposure, during menses?
Do you have any associated feature such as running nose, tears from eyes, fever, vomiting & nausea?
There are 15-20 types of headache have been defined and exact diagnosis is made on the basis of history described by patient.
You should consult with physician/ neurologist and should go for thorough neurological check up along with blood pressure .
Examination will differentiate between these two possibilities.
Treatment is decided on the basis of diagnosis.
You should also go for CT/ MRI scan of brain.
Weakness, slurring of speech, amnesia and throbbing headache indicates more in favor of hemiplegic migraine.
If migraine is present, then you should take both pain relief and anti-migraine prophylaxis medicines.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Feeling headache, dizzy, nausea and sick. Slurred speech and memory loss. What is going on? 12 minutes later
i am not sure on my current blood preasure

i have been sick in the mornings and did a test which was negative ruling out pregnancy
i have had a few nights of broken sleep but i put that down to the heat
i get headaches in the morning when i start work and then when sat under a light all day i have to turn it off i work with computers and have now gotten glasses which i thought would make it better but it doesnt

sometimes get a tight throbing on the under side on the top arm on my left side

my main worry s the effort of my limbs as its not normal at such a young age
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
You should consult with your treating physician and should get your blood pressure status.
You are most likely suffering from migraine as your history and precipitating factor suggest.
As you have worry regarding your weakness, you should go for imaging studies for clarification.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava