Feeling giddy after taking sleeping pill. What should I do?

I took a sleeping tablet early this m orning, now I feel terrib le and very giddy, what can I do
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Drink plenty of water, try to get some sleep Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. It is quite clear that you are experiencing the very intended purpose of the pill or a side effect. Some of the more common but less serious side effects of the medication are drowsiness, giddiness and a general sense of feeling unwell. But if you have taken the pill just this morning, I would like to know if it was to help you get some sleep? If so, then have you slept since then? If not, then I would recommend some sleep, as this would reduce the effect of the sleeping pill and also reduce the giddiness which is your body telling you that you need to sleep. Sleeping pills are to be taken at night, just before going to bed, in order to avoid such an side effects. In most cases doctors would advise to wait it out, as the sleeping pill's effect can and will last for at least 24-32 hours, making you feel drowsy through all your activities. During this time it would be best not to go about activities like driving, etc. To help in excretion of the medication from your system, please make sure you drink plenty of water, which in turn will result in an increased amount of urine being passed, this will help reduce the concentration of the drug in your blood, slowly and gradually making you feel better. I hope this information helps you ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Please try to get some sleep, you will surely feel better after that. Best wishes.