Feeling gaseous and stomach ache with mild diarrhea. No nausea or fever. What is the disease?

About a week ago I began to feel an onset of discomfort -- very gaseous, a lot of stomach gurgling and an intermittent series of little pinches (rather than actual cramps) traveling around my stomach and abdominal area. Mild diarrhea followed for a day or so and then let up, and though the abdominal pain has lessened, it continues to rear up throughout the day. All this first began last week after I sort of gorged myself on a number of delicious olives purchased from a delicatessen open container. I am wondering if I picked up some bacteria or if something else is going on. I haven't experienced any nausea or fever.
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms it appears that you are have had a gastro-enteritis, which is an inflamation / irritation of the digestive tract, and is most often caused due to viral or bacterial infections. Sometimes, certain toxins found in old canned or preserved foods can also trigger such problems.

Though most acute digestive tract infections subside within a few days, sometimes, the gastric irritation which could have resulted in acidity or stomach ulcers can take a few more days to subside. This is probably the reason why you are having some residual abdominal discomfort remaining.

I would suggest the following remedial measures:
- Take a bland diet and avoid oily or spicy foods for the next few days
- Drink plenty of water or cold milk or fresh fruit juices (not the preserved or fizzy ones)
- Take an antacid syrup thrice a day before food
- You can also take an anti-ulcer / acidity medication like Ranitidine or Rabeprazole (should be available over the counter)

Your symptoms should most likely subside within the next few days. In case they persist or worsen, then you have to see a doctor for further evaluation and treatment (you may need a course of antibiotics then).

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar