Feeling food struck in throat. Not cured by gargling. What should I do?

ENT Specialist
Hi there
I ate some popcorn last night and feel like I have a hull stuck in my throat. Have tried eating bread, gargling and trying to reach it with a toothbrush to get it out. I can breathe, and it isn't really painful.. but is there anything I can do to get it out? It's very irritating!
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 59 minutes later

Thanks for the query

It is very difficult for the hull of the popcorn to move from the place where it has got stuck because the hull is usually tough and impervious.

The usual location for the hull to get stuck is the back of the tongue and it usually accommodates itself over the enlarged lymphoid follicles. Do not worry! It will clear off within a day or two once the hull becomes soft. Try eating rough food such as roasted bread which helps in clearing off the hull. Do not attempt to remove it by yourself; it might cause damage to the mucosa of the tongue. Also, drink plenty of water to make it soft.

If the above measures fail, please consult your doctor for the removal of the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up query.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon