Feeling fluttering in chest and nipple. Could these be due to arrythmias?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I am feeling a fluttering in my chest below and to the left of my left nipple. It is happening occasionally tonight and might even be a muscular flutter, but my fear is that it is v-tach or v-fib. I began to notice it after a run this evening (3 miles). Could these be short runs of arrythmias? The strange part is that I am really only feeling them in that location I described (on the far far left of my chest -almost on the side of my body). I am not feeling an arrythmia when I check my pulse on my neck or wrist. Would I be able to feel these potential ventricular issues in my neck and wrist as well?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 4 hours later
Thanks for the detailed description.

Let me begin by reassuring you that sensation you describe doesn’t look like any heart related issue to me at all. Few negative points are you don’t have palpitation which should have been there if the sensation was due to rapid heart or arrhythmia and second thing is Yes, you should be able to feel fast heart beat both in neck and wrist.

V fib generally can’t last long without making you fall or unconscious and V tach should have features I just described. If it’s one off sensation you can just ignore but if it’s recurrent, have ECG done during the event and it should help.

Hope this helps you. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Feeling fluttering in chest and nipple. Could these be due to arrythmias? 23 minutes later
Thank you for your answer, doctor.
In general, is it "misleading" to try and gauge your pulse by feeling your chest?
My fear was that it was the apical pulse that I was feeling which was why I was concerned that the twitching was from my ventricles. The sensation did feel close to the chest wall, however and not very XXXXXXX That would also imply muscle instead of heart, correct?
I have recently had (two weeks ago) a normal EKG and chest x-ray. These tests would have suggested any ventricular enlargement, correct?
I also have a yearly echo for my bicuspid valve and that echo always turns out "normal" as well.
I just have lots of heart anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 hours later

Yes, I would say most of the points you have made are right. Except for the fact that it is possible to have completely, normal ECG and still have arrhythmia but doesn't mean in your case.

Looking at all your information, your symptoms looks like you only have muscle twitches and nothing significant.

Take care XXXXXXX