Feeling flushed out, tired and loss of appetite. Why did I feel like fainting all of a sudden?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi. I am a 6 feet tall guy with weight 76 kg. Today when I was taking bath, all of a sudden i felt like i m gonna faint.. it was sudden blackout.. it was not like vertigo or spinning world type feeling .. but it was like sufficient oxygen was not reaching to my brain as it was black out and i was trying hard to stand on my own. heartbeat was 152 when measured.. and my hands were trembling and shaking veryyyy badly.. couldn't hold my towel properly.. and pain in stomach like we feel in loose motion.. all this settled after 10 minutes but i am still shaking from inside and feeling like flushed out, very tired and lost my appetite.. what can be the possible reasons..
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 51 minutes later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

You seem to have suffered a neck sprain while taking bath and sudden twists of the neck can cause this feeling of reduced oxygen supply and vertigo. The raised pulse rate is a normal response to this, and so are the rest of the symptoms.

You will be aware that spondyloarthropathy at this age is not normal, and ankylosing spondylitis (AS) tops the list in the age group such as yours. Sudden twists and turns of the neck is not recommended, nor are extreme exercises that involve the spine.

If you do have AS, and not on medication, ensure you check the disease activity regularly by doing a BASDAI score that is available on websites dedicated for AS patients ( WWW.WWWW.WW . If you cannot understand how to do it, check with your Rheumatologist.

If these symptoms are happening on a regular basis and not on treatment, then please see your Rheumatologist for X-rays and MRI.

Doing a regular BASDAI score helps before consulting your doctor.

Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Feeling flushed out, tired and loss of appetite. Why did I feel like fainting all of a sudden? 14 minutes later
it was definetly not a neck sprain but a sudden pain in my spine i guess which was followed by this blackout.. i am not on medication but did consult an ortho surgeon who told me to go to MRI LS spine n xray which i will get it done soon.. but neck pain was surely not there... can I participate in sports like cricket and specially Badminton in seronegative spondylo..??? can it be XXXXXXX .?? and can this blackout happen again because I drive my car to office daily and this may result in an accident for sure..
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 28 minutes later

Sudden turns or activity that involves the neck lead to a sprain but occasionally if very sudden feels like a stabbing pain.

The MRI is very important that you must have when possible, the sooner the better.

Driving is fine but avoid slouching, and would suggest avoiding contact sports that can cause sudden injury to the spine. Outdoor activities like badminton, swimming, jogging, walking, sun exposure is recommended.

As far as cricket is concerned, read on XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

A useful website is the Arthritis Foundation ( WWW.WWWW.WW

Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Feeling flushed out, tired and loss of appetite. Why did I feel like fainting all of a sudden? 1 hour later
One last question doc. What if I can't find a rheumatologist ? Whom Should I go to for this back pain, blackout etc, a neuro or ortho??
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Your first port of call will be Orthopaedics (if you can't find a Rheumatologist), and if Ortho gives all clear, then see a Neurologist for sure.
One should not presume that this is due to Ankylosing spondylitis.
If you have no more questions, please close this discussion.
Best Wishes.