Feeling flushed and nauseous after taking niacin. Are these side effects of the supplement?

Dec 2012

Hi, I am experiencing some side effects from taking a supplement with Niacin (Pyridoxal). Took 2.5 mg at dinner about 8PM. Still feel flush, nervous, and nausea. Is there anything I can take (water, etc) to elliviate. I have been walking around and shaking hands to keep active (slowly). And drinking water to stay hydrated (not hot tea). Should I "tough it out" How long do they last? It has been from 8PM to 1:40AM.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If you only started the medication for <24hrs Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query, You should normally not have any side effects from taking niacin (Vitamin B3 supplement) as it hardly comes with any effect and is considered a natural supplement. But however, if the effects started shortly after you started taking the niacin, then it is probably the side effect or it was not rightfully indicated at this time. I will like to know the reason why you started the medication in the first place? If you just needed a supplement, it is best you stay off it and observe to actually confirm that it is the culprit. However, some literature have reported some very rare secondary effects linked to the taking of niacin. I suggest you discuss with your doctor to rule out possibility of other condition being the cause. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Feeling flushed and nauseous after taking niacin. Are these side effects of the supplement? 5 hours later
Dr. Nsah: The reason I started taking ARTERIN which contains niacin and magnesium is from a recommendation from noted heart doctor: Dr. Crandall, who publishes special report titled, "A Doctor’s Guide to Healthy Heart Rhythm” . Thought I would try it to help my heart condition: AFIB. The product's literature warned of some minor side effects and which I experienced: tingling left arm, nausea, chills, and insomnia. Fortunately, no AFIB and only a lot of discomfort. I am feeling better this AM. I will take your advice and stay off the product, and I have an appointment with my cardiologist on Wed. 11/13/2013 and will discuss it with him. Thanks, XXXXXXX Kiel
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Your welcome Detailed Answer: If the product is posing some adverse effect, then it is better you stay off the supplement until you can meet up with your cardiologist who can tell you the next step to take. Hope this was helpful and wish you the best Dr. Nsah