Feeling feverish. What to do?

Question
I dont have a fever but it feels like i have one. Why is that?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide additional details...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

It would be better if you could provide me with some additional details.

1. Please specify your gender and age.
2. Any burning urination or increased frequency of urination?
3. Is the fever more in the evening?
4. Any history of loss of weight or loss of appetite?
5. Alcohol consumption/Smoking?
6. Bowel and bladder habits? Any loose stools or constipation?
7. Any other symptoms like vomiting, sorethroat, cold/cough, headache ?
8. Do you live in a region which is quite cold?
9. Have you recorded your temperature? How much was it?
10. Any history of diabetes/hypertension?

Do mention any other symptoms you may be having.

In the absence of any other symptoms, and the only thing you have is a feeling that you have fever, the things you could do are :
Keep yourself warm.
Have warm fluids , green tea etc.

A paracetamol / Tylenol might help if you do have fever.

However , if this feverish feeling persists for more than 2-3 days , it would be better to visit your physician and get a couple of blood tests like complete blood picture, thyroid tests etc .

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Feeling feverish. What to do? 7 minutes later
23.
No burning
More in the evening yes
Loss of appeitite yes but im consuming food just not like i used to.
No drinking or smoking
Bowels bladder are good...having been having too much bowel movement
Not hard stool but not too soft either
Head pressure, clogged ears, rapid heart rate but it has calmee down, a lot of belching but its calmed down, burning in chest, leg tightness (comes snd goes), stiff neck but its going away..,a little dry cough
No i live in new orleans but i suffer with allergies a lot (coughing, nasal drip, snorting up clear stuff)
My temperature goes between 98.3 and 99.2
Dad has diabetes abd my mom is hypothyroid and some of my family has hypertension

I starter drinking powerade and i ate and i feel a little better still head pressure abd a littke dizziness. I just took two pain relievers as well.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably Sinusitis....

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Feeling of pressure in the head ,clogged ears, coupled with the fact that you have allergies with symptoms of coughing and post nasal drip , it is quite possible you might be having sinusitis.

Do continue to have warm water, warm fluids, green tea etc.
Keep yourself warm.
Do Steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. This will help relieve the head pressure.
Once you do get better , do sign up for yoga classes and pranayama, which if done properly can minimise your allergy symptoms.

Burning sensation in the chest, belching could be signs of gastritis/ acidity related stomach complaints.
Avoid spicy foods, fizzy drinks,oily food.
Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day.
Antacids might help relieve your symptoms.

I would suggest that you visit your physician and get examined for rapid heart rate/tightness in the legs/ get your blood pressure checked.

He might also examine you for sinus tenderness and prescribe you a course of antibiotics/ decongestants and anti allergic medications.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Feeling feverish. What to do? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your detailed response and i will keep up with what you mentioned. They thought i had acid reflux. I took priscolec and sodium bicarbonate and that helped me with the burning.

I go back this week to get an ultrasound on my gallbladder and heart along with an appt to thr GI doctor.

My white blood count was elevated but he said it went down a little more but it was still elevated. My urine test came out fine.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Sorry for the delay in replying

Detailed Answer:
I had written to you yesterday itself, and submitted the answer, but I guess you didn't receive it.. some technical issues probably.

Other measures you can do in case of acid reflux is.....
1. If you are overweight do try to reduce your weight.
2. Avoid oily, spicy and fatty food ,fizzy drinks, excessive tea/coffee.
3. Avoid exercising/bending down/ lying down immediately after a meal. Please wait for at least 2-3 hours after a meal, before exercising / lying down.
4. Instead of 3 large meals, have smaller frequent meals.

Do continue the medications as advised by your treating physician.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Feeling feverish. What to do? 24 hours later
Is colon cancer common in a woman like me who's only 23? I have an off and fever and a low appetite. I try eating very little and I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade. I notice a stifness in my joints like my leg and arms. And, I feel like a bubbling sensation in my chest and in my rectum. Could this all be gas related becusse I've been belching like crazy!

Brief Answer:
Acid Reflux/ Gas trouble

Detailed Answer:
Colon cancer is not common in young adults unless there is a family history of colon cancer? However, if there is a family history of colon cancer, then it would be better if you get evaluated and get a colonoscopy done.

Right now , your symptoms seem to be due to gas trouble/acid reflux.
Have smaller frequent meals.
Avoid foods which increase gas production like pulses, beans, cabbage , brussel sprouts.
Regular exercise will also help.
I would also advise you to avoid drinks like Gatorade/PowerAde. Instead ,try tender coconut water.

Follow the other remedies I mentioned in the earlier posts. Still after doing everything possible,if the symptoms persist, I would advise you to visit a gastroenterologist to allay your fears.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan