Feeling fever and chills. Urine test showed abnormal rbcs and pus cells. Should I be worried?

through the 5th session of chemotraphy out of 6th, just made a urine test, as she had fever and chills, showed all normal except rbcs 6-8 and pus cells 1-2, should i worry or is this normail in this case.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later
Presence of pus cells around 1 to 2 per Hpf (High power field of microscope) is normal and happens due to normal routine functioning of the immune system.
When the pus cell count in urine is more than 5 per Hpf chances of urinary tract being infected has to be considered.
Presence of RBCs in urine is a co finding in urinary tract infection unless other conditions causing rbcs in urine are ruled out. The other possible reasons of passing RBCs in urine are- renal calculi, decreased platelet count causing mild bleeding, renal cancer, etc.
You can get a repeat test of urine routine after one week and if the RBCs are persistent, consider getting a USG done to find out any renal stones.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.