Feeling fatigued and have swollen lymph node. Had unprotected sex. Chances of HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello dr XXXXXXX lately I have been worried sick almost a year ago I became very sick for around a week swollen lymph nodes and horrible fatigue I remember now that around 2 weeks before that I had reieved a tattoo from a friend that had a liscence but did it at home. I also remember I had unprotected sex with a girl that summer to I feel better now but I have something excuse my spelling called trichomyosis. And I didn't know if all this is a good sign of hiv I just got test done and im extremely worried
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

HIV can spread by tattoos and also by unprotected intercourse.
Your swollen lymph nodes could be because of trichomoniasis infection you had.
These sexually transmitted diseases favor the spread of HIV.
As this much of fatigue, sickness etc are uncommon in young male better to get investigated once to rule out immunodeficiency.
But don't worry just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion.
As tattoos can spread other blood born diseases and also STDs can also cause these type of symptoms, the cause of your symptoms can also be something other than HIV.
So wait for your report which will possibly rule out the chance.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Feeling fatigued and have swollen lymph node. Had unprotected sex. Chances of HIV? 2 hours later
I used a company called quest for the test im wondering the time frame they'll need its worrying me so badly

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later

I can understand your anxiety.
But better to undergo detailed evaluation in the form of enzyme-based immunoassay, Western blot-based assay etc as the company will do.
Because though time taking it will give accurate results.
Strips tests can give early result but they can give false positives and false negatives sometimes.
So better to wait and let us hope that the result will come negative.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.