Feeling fatigued. Started vomiting and black stool. Took simvastatin. What treatment should be done?

Started last Saturday vomiting for 4 hours
Black stool for a week. Took some pepto bismol last Sat - Sun and then stopped.
My doctor checked my stool for blood and says no indication of blood
Doesn't think it's a ulcer.
No abdominal pain unless you press on each side of belly button - no pain if you don't touch it.
Fatigue is severe. Can barely function. Come home for work and go to bed right away.
Not dehydrated anymore. Drinking lots of fluid.
Able to eat - but don't have a real appetite
I have no other health problems. Take Simvastatin and citalopram 20mg
Lost 10lbs from last Sat to Monday morning.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 minutes later

Regarding the black colored stools, it could be that the appearance of your stool was changed by something in your diet. Some foods, supplements and medicines have a tendency to turn your stool black.

I suggest you to check out the foods that you had recently. If the repeat happens then blood in stools has to be ruled out. Bloody stool means that there's some sort of injury or disorder in the GI tract and the farther the source f bleeding from the anus, the darker the stools will be. This is because the longer blood stays in your digestive tract, the darker it will become.

In that case, it is advisable to get an upper GI endoscopy to rule out any peptic ulcer disease (commonest cause for black colored stools) and a colonoscopy may be needed in that case. Given your history of abdominal pain close to umbilicus, even inflammatory bowel disease should be ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health .