Feeling fatigue, moody and brown spotting after clinic abortion. How to conform complete abortion?

I had a surgical in-clinic abortion today. I have had cramping (just as I would with a period) and minimal to moderate brown- maroon blood today. I have been very moody since I left the clinic. That all sounds normal. I have been fatigued feeling since about 4 hrs after the procedure. I am less moody though. Maybe the initial drop in hormone wore me out. My concern is that I was estimated by vaginal ultrasound to be 5 weeks 2 days just prior to the procedure. They did the procedure but after could not give me an absolute "Yes" it was a success because they could not find the "fuzzy sac- like" membrane/ cells. Before the procedure we looked at the embryo and the distinctive "shadow or circles" on the ultrasound and the Dr. did a fantastic job explaining things to me. I am concerned though due to the fact they could not find exactly what they would "normally". Do I have a pretty good chance I am still pregnant? or even if they couldn't see this membrane/cell structure in the solution, could the procedure still have been successful? I am 100% about my decision to end this pregnancy and feel i would be very upset if I was still pregnant. They did a beta HCG blood test today and in 48 hrs I will go back for a second blood draw. Should this reflect a significant drop at 48 hrs (halving my initial value)?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later

I understand your concern.
Mood swings are commonly seen after abortion. It normalizes after 6 weeks.

To confirm your chances of complete abortion, following tests are recommended.
1. Serial beta HCG blood levels. Beta HCG should decline by more than 50% in 48 hours suggests complete abortion.

2. Transvaginal ultrasonography showing retained products of conception less than 15mm suggests complete abortion.

At 5 weeks 2 days, products of conception are very minimum to be visible.
However if you are not having heavy vaginal bleeding with clots, there is nothing to worry about. It usually suggests complete abortion.

Hope this helps. I will be glad to help if you have further queries.

Regards and take care,
Dr Nilofer