Feeling fatigue, have swollen neck with dry, itchy and red face. How to overcome this?

Hello...I've been getting syptoms out of face is itchy, dry, red, my tonsils or neck glands are swollen without a sore throat, and now I feel fatigued...
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 33 minutes later
The cause for enlarged tonsils along with dry, itchy, red skin could either be a viral infection or an allergic reaction. As you are not having fever or sore throat, chances of infection are quite unlikely. So most probably the cause is allergic( food, pollens, weather etc). To treat the same, you might try these
1) do warm saline water gargles three to four times in a day
2) take an antiallergic like cetirizine or hydroxizine or Benadryl to relieve itching and swollen tonsils
3) if tonsils are painful, you may take tablet paracetamol. It will also help in fatigue and malaise
4) you may apply a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone to soothe dry itchy skin.

Normally the symptoms should subside in 4 to 5 days. However if the symptoms persist or if you develop any kind of difficulty in breathing then an appointment with ENT specialist is recommended.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more feel free to write back.
Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.
Follow-up: Feeling fatigue, have swollen neck with dry, itchy and red face. How to overcome this? 20 minutes later
Already took zyrtec for a week...doesn't go lips are very dry as well..And really fariqued
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
I would like to know how much relief are you having with Zyrtec.
Dryness of lips could be tackled with application of emollients, lip balms and if severely chapped then steroid like hydrocortisone could be applied too.
Also increase intake of water as dehydration too contributes to dry lips and skin. Usually when the tonsils are enlarged, water intake decreases due to difficulty in swallowing.
Allergy and viral infections usually take one to two weeks to subside and the treatment offered is always symptomatic.
But even if after taking treatment for one to two week, enlarged tonsils persist then a course of antibiotic like azithromycin or augmentin is required.

Hoping to hear from you soon.