Feeling fatigue, getting bruise. Blood test showed high eosinophil count. How to overcome this?

My 11 year old sons bloodwork, taken 2 times in last 15 days, due to extreme bruising, fatigue, ect has some abnormalities. We see a hematologist next week, but am curious...
Hct slightly high 39.7 (33-39)
Mpv high 11.6 (7.4-10.4)
PLT low 145 (200-370)
Segs low 32 (34-71)
Lymphocytes high 46 (15-43)
Eosinophils high 15 (0-3)
Absolute neutrophil low 1.5 (1.6-7.0)
Alkaline phos high 205 (40-129)
The dr was stumped by the eosinophils as he does not have any known allergies or asthma and a parasite screen was negative. He has not had a fever, and is not sick. He has had very swollen gums for awhile (couple months maybe), is covered in bruises, and tires very easy. He has also continued to lose weight even though we eat very healthy and are adding peanut butter and avacado daily to his ensure to try and fatten him up. He has some neurological issues, mostly cognitive decline after an illness 2 years ago. He now has tested for cerebral folate defeciency, but the neurologist wants to wait and see what the hematologist says before starting treatment. Any ideas what they are thinking?

Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You are interpreting the blood reports with the normal values mentioned therein. Except for the high eosinophil count I will not worry about anything else. There can be individual variations and the report seems to be normal. The eosinophil count be repeated after some time to confirm whether it is still high.

The alkaline phosphatase value needs to be seen along with the other liver function reports.

Regarding the bruises, I will appreciate if a coagulation profile is done to know the reason for easy bruising. As he has tested for cerebral folate deficiency, I will recommend that your son be given some swollen gums.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Feeling fatigue, getting bruise. Blood test showed high eosinophil count. How to overcome this? 4 hours later
Thanks for your input. I think the coagulation tests were done. I only put down the things that were marked as high or low in the labs. Tests that were normal include sed rate, everything in his comprehensive metabolic panel except creatinine low .59 (.67-1.17) and the alkaline phos as I stated before. I read somewhere that children have a higher alkaline phos result, is his normal for a child, then? Other normal tests were prothrombin time, cortisol, anti neutro cytoplasm, cryptosporadidium smear, HIV, c reactive protein, aptt, and his complete urinalysis. If the eosophinil test is the only really off test, I am confused as to why they are sending us to hematology? Any ideas? Thanks again!.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for the update.

As stated earlier kindly discuss with your doctor and put him on vitamin C which can correct the swollen gums and bruising.

As stated earlier I will not worry about the isolated high alkaline phosphatase level when other liver function tests are normal.

You are being referred to the hematologist because of the bruising and not because of the isolated raised eosinophil count.

Please do not worry about any one particular investigation findings.

I hope I have responded to your doubt to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.