Feeling fatigue and noticed bruise on legs and arms after abortion. Worrisome

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My daughter had an abortion at 11 weeks 2 days. About 2 weeks afterwards she started noticing bruising on her legs. It's been a little over a month and now slight bruising on her arms. Iron level was 12.2 on 02/21/2013. We are worried. She's still fatigued at times also.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Thank you for your querry. First i need to say that it is good that you have noticed these bruisings because it is something that needs to be examinatedand you shouldnt ignore it. You should be sure that there was no trauma in this area.
ABortion can cause not just localized complications,but systemic ones. It is known that any kind of abortion( artifical or natural) can cause hematological disorder, especailly blood clotting disorders which can be serious.FIrst sign of it are unexplained bruisings. LAb tests can easily find abnormal clotting parameters. Iron wont tell us anything about it. It tells us is only is there enough iron to produce red blood cells. So you need to see trombocytes level, prothrombin time and d-dimers for the beginning.
So just dont worry, this isnt emergency but visit your GP and plan those tests I ve mentioned.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"