Feeling fatigue and chest congestion with weight loss. Prescribed doxcef, remylin, endoctl. Right medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2013
Jun 2013
Good
Question
This is for 68 yr old person who is otherwise healthy except recently observed weight loss, fatigue and slight chest congestion. Doc has prescribed the following. Need to know in detail the benefits and side effects of each of these with natural substitutes for each. Pl. specify natural/ayurvedic substitutes also. Thanks in advance

1. DOXCEF 200
2. SERSOLATE
3. REMYLIN
4. ENDOCTL

Thanks
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 4 hours later
Hi there ~

Doxcef 200 is chemically cefpodoxime. It is an antibiotic belonging to the cephalosporin class of medications. It is a mild antibiotic and should not be taken if you are allergic to penicillin.

Fersolate is an iron supplement with B vitamins included. There are no major side effects of this medication.

Remylin is methylcobalamin 1500 mcg, alpha lipoic acid 100 mg, pyridoxine hydrochloride 3 mg, folic acid 1.5 mg and these are vital food supplements that are necessary. They are not harmful and have no major side effects.

Endocet is acetaminophen and oxycodone combination. There are no major drug interactions or side effects of acetaminophen. Oxycodone is an opioid medication that is effective with moderate to severe pain. In overdoses it may be harmful and it can also be addictive if taken long term. You may need more and more of the medication to find the same effects with regards to pain relief.

I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day !

Follow-up: Feeling fatigue and chest congestion with weight loss. Prescribed doxcef, remylin, endoctl. Right medicine? 11 hours later
Thanks but u havent mentioned the benefits of either of them, why have they been prescribed?

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 6 hours later
Hi there,

I have mentioned in my post what the use of the medications are i.e. their benefits.
1. Doxcef - an antibiotic helps fight infection.
2. Fersolate - iron and vitamin B supplements for nutritional deficiency (nutritional deficient anemia).
3. Remylin - food supplements have varied uses
4. Endocet - acetaminophen and oxycodone have pain relieving benefits.

The exact indications why they have been prescribed depends on the condition you have.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a lovely day !