Feeling faint, ear discomfort, sweating, heavy breathing, glassy eyes. Need for quick remedial action?

Dec 2012

I was wondering if I over reacted to my friends hypoglycemic attack today. She ended up mad at me after she felt better. This is what happened: she felt strange and said she felt like passing out. Her ears felt funny (almost like tinnitus). She started sweating profoundly and seemed to breathe alittle heavier.her eyes looked glassy. She ate raisins and cashiers but that wasn't working. after five minutes or so I went into a store to get a drink with cane sugar in it. I called a friend of mine because I was almost in hysterics(I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks).this friend is very level headed. The drink seemed to work within 5 mins but when I told her I contacted our friend she got mad.she said all she needed was alittle sugar and that I was overreacting and shouldn't have bothered our friend. I always research medical stuff and I have 2 nurses in the friend (and roommate) is a nurse. I felt like if her sugar didn't increase quickly within those first 5 mins then she had a good chance of falling unconscious ( long term) and possibly dying. She, herself,said she may pass out. I find it highly unlikely she would bounce back quickly and on her own if she passed out. I told her she's lucky I didn't call an ambulance. Do you think I over reacted? Is it understandable that I thought it was more serious than she thought and called a friend for support? If she passed out would,she have likely fallen into a coma or not be able to raise consciousness on her own? Did I over react(she is discrediting me because she always thought I was a hypochondriac to begin with)? P.s. when our mutual friend saw her she said she seemed shaky(another hypoglycemia sign).
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I can see from the look of things that you are very concerned friend. I will be XXXXXXX with you and give you the most information you may need.
Hypoglycemia when mild generally do not present with any symptoms or you might not just feel a little fatigue or dizziness, but when moderate to severe, then serious symptoms as the one above can present.
You did not mention if she is diabetic or not, as the gravity will depend on that too.
If she is diabetic and has hypoglycemia, then her condition is considered serious. She will have to get her sugar regularly checked and put under control.
I do not feel you over reacted anyways, her symptoms were clearly moderately serious and she could have gone into a state of unconsciousness and if there is no immediate medical intervention, she could go a state of deep coma and probably death if no proper medical treatment is provided.
Hypoglycemia is common amongst people that are not diabetic but usually is hardly serious and a few episodes of fainting or sweating or other symptoms, could pass away after taking in some energy.
Well to answer your question, I do not think you overreacted and it shows simply that you are a concerned friend and that how a good friend should react to situations like that. You will need to take some time out, to talk things with her and let her know that you were simply worried.

Hope this helps and wish you both the best.