Feeling faint after getting up from chair. Taking Losartan, Atenolol and Xanax

When my wife gets up from a dental chair after being laid back for a few or many minutes she feel like she is going to pass out?

How can she prevent this from happening?

She is currently taking medicine Losartan and atenolol for high blood pressure.She also takes Xanax for anxiety.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. This situation is related to the volume of plasma in the vessels. It is called orthostatic hypotension. It is common after the age 60 since vessels walls becomes rigid. It is also more seen in people who take some of anti-hypertensive medication. Atenolol can intensify this issue. The best way to manage this problem is to take more fluid. It is more important in the seasons that one has more sweating.
In the severe cases doctors decide to prescribe a medication which retain the salt in the body to prevent this sudden drop in blood pressure in position changes. Most of the time there is no need to take that medication.
Let me know if you have any question. I wish you a good health.