Feeling facial twitching. What could be causing this?

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor
All of sudden I am feeling facial twitching on left side of my face. It never happened before and feeling this from past 3-4 days only. It happens for just 1-2 seconds and couple of times in an hour. I can even see my face twitching in mirror. I am not on any medication and no medical history as well. It hapenns around upper lip area of left side of face. Is it something to woory about. What are the reasons for this?
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later
First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious neurological problem.
The most common cause for facial twitchings are stress and strain. If someone is sleeping less, or working long hours especially on a computer, or reading a book for long, twitchings may occur over face, around lipis, eyelids, or hand muscles commonly.
There is no need to worry, as it stops on its own in most cases. If it is too troublesome, a small dose of clonazepam may be used.
Only if it persists for long time, it requires evaluation by a neurologist, as in very rare cases, there may be a compression of facial nerve, as it originates from the brain.
Hope it clarifies. Please get back, if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad