Feeling extremely sleepy and bruising easily. What are the complications?

I am extremely sleepy and for the last month I've been bruising easily.

Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
There are three mechanisms which are disturbing your cicardian (sleep-awake-sleep cyle of sleep during 24 hours) rhythm of sleep.
1. Arachnoid Cyst of Pineal Gland: Melatonin which is secreted by pineal gland is one of the major regulator of normal sleep patterns. Using melatonin alone, or in combination with phototherapy, to treat sleep disorders. Now question remains why on some days excessive melatonin is secreted and other days not. With Ventriculo Peritoneal Shunt in, the intracranial pressure becomes dependent on its flow as well as size of the cyst, which in turn is dependent on many variables. That is possible one reason.

2 Hypothyroidism: There is also a relationship between an increased incidence of sleep apnea (brief periods when you stop breathing while sleeping) and hypothyroidism. Frequent apnea can also cause unrelieved exhaustion. Apnea is often also seen in conjunction with snoring during night and nodding off to sleep or feeling sleepy during day time.

3.Fibromyagia:Most people with fibromyalgia — more than 75 percent, according to the National Fibromyalgia Research Association — complain of sleep disturbances and daytime fatigue. Experts believe that these feelings of grogginess and sleep deprivation are the result of problems falling asleep and staying asleep. While some people with fibromyalgia don't remember waking up frequently, others do recall these disruptions to a good night's rest. Either way, these abnormal sleep patterns prevent fibromyalgia sufferers from getting a healthy amount of restful, restorative sleep.

Therefore, your daytime sleepiness can be associated with all three primary problems you are having. I would urge you to see your doctor so that a proper examination can be done specially in relation to pineal gland arachnoid cyst. Your doctor may order the necessary investigations and Neurology Consult to help you resolve the problem. If you need any clarification please do ask a followup question I will be too happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW