Feeling ear blocked, balanced deterioration. Have sleep apnea. Will it be cured soon after operation?

I am 63 years old. For the last 2 years I have experienced what felt like a blocked left ear, although there was no wax build-up. Previous to the condition becoming noticable, I have noted that my balance has detoriated and I found balancing on one leg for anything more than a few seconds impossible. I saw a specialist who stated that I had a blocked left eustachion canal, caused by a deflection of the septum. He said that the loss of balance was not attributable to my case. The deflection is so severe that he had trouble inserting the endoscope to examine me. He said that, although surgery could rectify the problem now he recommended that I do nothing. Over the next few years the condition will worsen. When it worsens sufficiently, I should have a grommet inserted in my ear. As I have sleep apnea, often fly, and enjoy swimming, I feel that this treatment seems to miss the XXXXXXX of rectifying the problem. Although I would not look forward to septoplasty, do you consider that this operation could be a quick, permanent fix
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

I see that you are suffering with this problem for some time now.

Getting the grommet inserted will definitely improve the long time outcome in you. In addition, there is a grossly deviated nasal septum, which needs correction since it is causing the left Eustachian canal block.

In view of your sleep apnea, frequent flying and swimming activities, it is preferable to undergo the surgery.

In my assessment, I feel getting both the septoplasty and grommet insertion done will help you in improving the quality of life.

My suggestion to you is to go ahead with the surgery after discussion with your treating specialist, after getting a pre-anesthetic evaluation done in view of your high blood pressure.

Please do write back for further discussion on this.