Feeling drowsy after being hit on the head. Need a CAT scan to rule out hematoma?

Jan 2013

I was at a concert and a guy whacked me on the head with his elbow - when I went to sit down I could feel a release of fluid inside the head - perhaps a bleed? I put ice on the area....last night I went to see a young doctor in A&E at my local hospital and he did some assessments and said couldnt see a haemotoma etc, back of eyes and ears ok etc...I felt a bit drowsy yesterday but no real headaches...area a bit sore....would you get a cat scan as it was definitely liquid being released inside my head? thank you
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 18 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there could be least possibility of hematoma formation.
In fact, a person can't feel release of liquid inside the head.
Head is just like a closed ball and anything inside the head apart from brain, just like tumor or hematoma, may cause unconsciousness, projectile vomiting, severe headache and vision disturbances.

The level of consciousness you have and your ability to ask question, suggests least possibility of Hematoma formation inside the head.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough check up.
There could be possibility of localized scalp, concussion or small amount subdural hematoma (SDH) formation.

Fresh SDH is difficult to diagnose by CT scan and you should go for MRI scan head to rule out possibility of above described disease.

You should take proper bed rest for the coming 5-7 days.
Exact treatment depends on the diagnosed disease.

As such there appears to be less correlation between varicose veins and stillborn child history.

Rise in red blood cell is not possible with history of injury.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava