Feeling dizzy, unwell and nausea after speaking over the phone. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
whilst speaking on our cordless house phone for more than a minute or2 i become nauseous and dizzy and unwell
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. You are experiencing something akin to the Tulio Phenomenon in which sound stimulates the balance system (which it normally should not) and leads to nausea, dizziness and feeling unwell.

2. Causes of the Tulio Phenomenon include labyrinthine fistulas (due to surgery, barotrauma, infections or Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome).

3. Hyperacusis must be ruled out. Get an ear examination and Audiometry tests done. Middle ear pressures must be checked by Tympanometry (Impedance Audiometry). Abnormal eye movements and gait disturbances may be checked.

4. If this is specific to the Cordless Phone and not other devices, check the earphone volume settings, head neck & cervical spine position during the call, the frequency of the wireless phone ( many new cordless phones exceed the frequency of a microwave).

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.