Feeling dizzy, tiredness and tingling after passing stool. What is causing this?

Nov 2013

At times I need to have urgent passing of stool. Not always diareah. Afterwards I become dizzy and the back of my head and feet constantly tingle for hours and my stomach is upset bad. I will also feel extremely tired. Sometimes when this happens I check my glucose with a blood meter and it is normal levels. Just want to make sure something is not going on with my sugar levels. These sudden trips to the bathroom happen radomly at home or at work or when I am out for entertainment. The tingling is in both feet and the back of my head/kneck. Also my head feels foggy for a while but, then clears up. Again there always seems to be the need to rush to the bathroom. Most of the time it's the passing of regular stool but rapidly. What do you think? Thanks
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Based on the description, there are three possibilities:
1. Anxiety- It is a common reason for urgency of passing stools. The symptoms occur mostly in day, and not in nights. There may be an increase in frequency too.
2. Pre-syncope: In this condition, due to rapid evacuation of bowels, the blood flow to brain reduces transiently (for a short period). This leads to the symptoms you have described- dizziness, head feeling foggy, tiredness, tingling, etc. As the blood flow improves, all symptoms go away.
3. Parasitic infection- this is less likely in your case, as usually diarrhea and increased frequency of stools are present (which are not so in your case always).
As of now, there does not seem to be a serious problem and hence, no need to worry.
Following investigations may be useful:
1. Serum vitamin B12 level
2. Thyroid profile
3. Stool examination to look for infection
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM