Feeling dizzy, tired, pain and clogged ear and pain in head. Should I take antibiotic?

Sep 2012

I have a pain in my ear. Its not stabbing or bad. I have a feeling of clogged ears and than a pain in my head, ear but not very bad. I m feeling dizzy and very tired. I feel like vomiting but cant vomiting . Just a feeling of vomit. I took sudafed, ear drops so my clogged ears will open but its not helping .. Can you tell me whats wrong. If I have infection, Do you think i need antibiotics.?Thank you,

Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Firstly, the symptoms you mentioned denotes an ongoing infection, may be complicated with presence of wax. Occlusion of ear by wax may lead to loss of balancing mechanism of cerebellum which leads to vomiting sensation.

So, there are two possibilities :
1. Wax deposition which became very hard.
2. Infection which leads to inflammation and pus formation which blocks the ear canal.

For proper management, you have to consult an ENT Specialist for physical examination of ear canal using speculum.

In examination, if wax is found occluding the canal, then wax dissolving drugs should be used meticulously. If wax does not dissolve using wax dissolving drugs, then manual removal of wax should be done. But if inflammation, pus secretion, found then antibiotic ear drops should be used.

Without knowing the proper cause do not use any drug.

So, consult with ENT specialist for physical examination and proper management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.