Feeling dizzy, started sweating and bleeding from nose. Required treatment?

Feb 2013

I've never had a nosebleed, but did tonight. I got extremely dizzy and felt like passing out. I was hot and sweating
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Nose bleed is due to rupture of capillaries in nasal mucosa which is a delicate and fragile are of nose-Little's plexus.

Nose bleed occurs due to dryness, nose pricking, blowing nose with force, drugs like aspirin, cocaine, blood clotting disorders, infections, and hypertension.

Hypertension causes nose bleeds because of rupture of the fragile capillaries so get your blood pressure checked.

Most nose bleeds are scary, but are harmless.

Your symptoms of hot and sweating are due to the anxiety resulted from the frightful event of sudden nose bleed.

I advise you to do first aid at home if there is still bleeding or bleed occurs at any time by the following :

1.Sit down and lean forward

2.Squeeze soft part of nose by using your thumb and index finger, continue
holding till the bleeding stops.

3.Place an ice pack on the bridge of the nose

4.Avoid picking, rubbing, or blowing the nose for 2 to 3 days.

If the nose bleed is caused by a trauma, bleeding is not controlled by the above methods, and if the nose bleeds are often consult an ENT specialist for the examination and to investigate for any underlying problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.