Feeling dizzy, numbness in hand. Tested for blood sugar. Suspected for HIV infection. Any advice?

Aug 2012

i had some symptoms which made me go to the doctor , not clear vision as before , dizziness , numming in my hands when sleepin , i got tested for blood sugar and the result came 7.6 the doctor told me to take measurments every day in morning and now they are 7.9 , 7.7 , 8.9 , 10.4 then 5.5 . recently i had lot of sever stress and anixity because i suspect Hiv infection . is this sugar blood increased because of that ? and what you suggest shall i wait till hiv RESULTS COME BACK AND IF THEY ARE -VE shall iw ait after i rest and take the measurments again ?? what do you advise ?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 37 minutes later
Hi there.

The readings in the morning, I assume, are fasting ones. If so then readings of 7.9 and more are in the range of diagnosis of XXXXXXX diabetes mellitus.
If you have anxiety about anything that adds to your sugar levels. HIV diagnosis is initially not related with increased sugars but once a person starts suffering from AIDS he/ she starts losing fat of the body and has very high insulin resistance which causes high sugars in the blood.
So even though you tend to be positive for HIV it is not the reason directly for the rise in sugars but related anxiety works a lot against insulin and you tend to have high sugars.
My advice is to check for HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin). Any level beyond 6.4% is suggestive that you have had high sugar readings not recently but since minimum 3 months. This will guide you and your treating physician to decide whether your sugars are stress induced or you genuinely have developed diabetes.
Till your HIV confirmatory report comes please relax and keep monitoring not only fasting sugars but also sugars 2 hours after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner. They will also guide about your diagnosis whether the sugars are temporary or due to overt newly diagnosed diabetes. They will also help in treatment strategy.
I hope you got the asnwer. Please get back to me for any further query.