Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, loss of appetite, chest pain and frequent urination. What is the problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Last night I decided to do a work out which was a lit bit excessive, right after that I felt very fresh and pretty good, but this morning I felt dizzy, light-headed, I have frequent urination and dirreha also I lost my appetite and I am in a very confused state of mind. I feel line my symptoms somehow can be associated with low blood sugar. I felt like painting this morning, I have a acute pain my chest which later on coupled with dizziness. It seems that I am getting slightly better now that I drink water along with sugar, though I am confused what has caused this. I also have a squeezing pain in my upper chest heart area.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms that you are having can be related to hypoglycaemia. The pain in the chest with dizziness is a worrisome finding.
In your case, if it was a single episode and has not recurred again, then there is no need to be worried. In case the symptoms are recurrent, the cause needs to be identified.
The cause of chest pain could be due to :-
1. cardiac causes (Hypertension, arrhythmias)
2. lung related issues (exercise induced asthma, etc).
3. Hyperthyroidism
4. Anemia
Hence you would benefit by consulting your primary doctor and getting evaluated with a few tests as mentioned below- ‎
‎1. Complete blood counts
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Lipid profile , Blood sugar (Fasting and Post prandial), HBAIC,
4. Thyroid function tests
5. Chem 14 panel
‎ In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:- ‎
‎1. Holter monitor
2. Echocardiography
3. Chest Xray
4. Lung function tests
5. Tread mill test
It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and above mentioned ‎investigations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, loss of appetite, chest pain and frequent urination. What is the problem? 29 minutes later
Thanks for the thorough response. I forgot to mention that I have a condition called acid reflux and I suspect I might have eaten something that compromised my digestive system. Last night, I started having a diarrhea and it persisted till now, also it burns when it comes out. Does it mean I might have been food poisoned
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms could be due to excessive gastric acidity and mild gastroenteritis rather than a food poisoning.
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc should also be avoided.
Taking Omeprazole 20mg available over the counter will also help.
If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.