Feeling dizzy, heavy headed and lack of concentration. Is this neurological or psychological problem?

Question
I have a slight sort of dizzy feeling from 3-4 days. Its hard to explain... For example if I scroll up or scroll down on my computer, I feel very irritated in the eyes (and feels like I want to close them). Even if I turn my head, before settling of the vision, I sense extreme irritation and it takes a while (say 20-30 seconds) before I can concentrate. I also have slight heaviness in the head. Its a lot better with eyes closed and I don't feel any dizzy feeling if I close my eyes. So whenever there is a change of sight, I feel like closing my eyes for sometime and then slowly opening it to avoid this dizzy feeling. Its been happening for about 3-4 or may be 5 days. It usually is higher when I get up in the morning and slowly goes down as the day progresses. Its hard to concentrate during those times. (There is no ringing in the ear - so may not be vertigo?). I am not sure if its neurological or psychological.

Is it possible to have anxiety disorder without consciously being anxious? (The feeling I have is similar when you have an infection/cold with high fever and you have heaviness in the head and you can't concentrate and can have some giddiness, would take some time to get adjusted to brightness - just that there is no infection or cold or fever).

PS: I was doubting whether to choose "Brain and Spine" or "Anxiety Disorder" or "General Health" in your drop down menu. Just chose "General Health".
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

The symptoms you have may not be due to anxiety disorder though you may be anxious about the symptom.

The disturbance in the vision, dizziness, hypereamia in the ear etc are the symptoms noticed when there is a vascular disturbance. A disturbance in circulation due to defective heart functioning, fluctuation in blood pressure or transient carotid artery blockade can be the cause here. Also a allergic condition releasing chemical mediators in to the blood stream as a response to an allergen can also cause vascular disturbance like you experience.

I would suggest you to get yourself investigated well to rule out the above conditions by tests like 2D echocardiogram, blood pressure measurement, absolute eosinophil count (for allergies). Do not ignore the condition considering it to be due to anxiety although you can practice mind relaxation exercises like yoga and meditation.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy, heavy headed and lack of concentration. Is this neurological or psychological problem? 14 hours later

As I had mentioned in the earlier medical history, I did get an ECG done and the lipids. All turned out to be normal. I also had a general blood work done which also turned out to be normal. My BP checked at many times varied between 117/74 up to 128/84. So, do you still think echo is required?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

ECG (Electrocardiogram) identifies only rhythm disturbances but does not give detailed information about the pumping function of the heart. A 2D echocardiogram determines the force with which the heart pumps also it measures the heart wall thicknesses which are very important indicators to assess the blood supply to vital organs.

Also do get the Absolute eosinophil count if not done before to rule out any allergic condition is causing the symptoms you have.

Hope I cleared your doubts.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy, heavy headed and lack of concentration. Is this neurological or psychological problem? 1 hour later

Thank you for your inputs.

I just have one last question. Since the blood work with cholesterol and lipids and the ESR are perfectly normal (and I am not overweight at all), carotid artery blockade can be most likely ruled out right? I understand that there may be slight chances, but in general do you think it is highly unlikely given the results of the blood work? Sometimes there might be heavy headedness due to lack of sleep/oversleep etc and may be this would be one of the reasons for this.

I shall anyway see the doctor to get some tests done. Thanks again for your reply in advance.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes, with the cholesterol being normal I would consider the chances of the atheromas are less likely.

Also, I would agree that disturbance in the sleep can cause the symptoms you have but would not last for more than few minutes.

Do get the test I mentioned, It is always best to rule out all possibilities which may progress in future to a level where management may be difficult.

Wish you good health.