Feeling dizzy, elevated blood pressure. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
WAS SITTING FOR 4 HOURS STRAIGHT PLAYING CARDS THEN GOT IN MY CAR TO DRIVE HOME AND WHEN I GOT OUT OF THE CAR I WAS EXTREMELY DIZZY AND HAD TO HOLD ON TO THINGS MY BLOOD PRESSURE WAS ELEVATED.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Did you actually record your blood pressure when you got out of the car? High blood pressure can cause dizziness. The other causes that need to be considered are-

1. Anemia- reduced blood hemoglobin levels. This can be ruled out by getting a complete blood picture done.

2. Cardiac problem- Missing heart beats are one of the common causes of dizziness or it might happen due to some irregularities in the cardiac impulse. This can be ruled out on having an EKG (Electrocardiogram) done.

3. Weakness, any infections in the recent past, lack of proper regular meals, as a side effect of some medicines, etc.

All these factors will have to be ruled out with the help of your physician to come to the actual problem for treatment.

You also need regular blood pressure monitoring and revised doses of medicines in case it is not properly controlled with current medicines.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.