Feeling dizzy and tired with pale complexion before period. What is causing this?

Hi I have had several times before a period when I have looked very pale and tired, enough that others comment on it. In the same week usually before the period I have had bad dizzy spells. Do you know what is causing this?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Repeated spells of dizziness with tiredness and pale complexion needs an attention. It can be there due to multiple reasons but at your age there are three possibilities that are coming to my mind-
1. Anaemia- reduced blood hemoglobin levels. This can be ruled out by getting a complete blood picture done.
2.Cardiac problem- Missing heart beats are one of the common causes of dizziness or it might happen due to some irregularities in the cardiac impulse. This can be ruled out on having an ECG done.
3.Weakness, any infections in the recent past, lack of proper regular meals, as a side effect of some medicines, etc.
All these factors will have to be ruled out with the help of your physician to come to the actual problem for treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy and tired with pale complexion before period. What is causing this? 10 hours later
I forgot to mention I am on seroquel and have not had an ecg for this since roughly 2010. My dose is 50mg but a year ago it was 75mg. Could any of the issues you listed be related to my period as it always happens the week of my period but before I actually bleed. I have a history of irregular menstral periods. The symtoms I mention also coincide with backache anywhere in the spine (which has started giving me pain in the last year). I have a history of an eating disorder with a low body mass index of between 17.5 and 19.2 currently BMI is 19.2 and body fat 15% and only in the last 9 months have I eaten more sensibly (3-4 meals a day) and only in the last 6 months have I maintained a healthy weight. Since my body fat percentage has increased my last two periods have been on time falling at 26 and 25 days. The tiredness went when I started taking iron XXXXXXX water spa tone. Thank you for your previous response.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The coincidence of the symptoms with periods might be due to the hormonal changes in the body. Mild backache is common due to associated uterine contractions. Getting an ECG done to rule out any cardiac disorders is advisable.
Regular and healthy meals will help in decreasing the symptoms. You can start taking regular iron supplements after getting your hemoglobin examined.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.