Feeling dizzy and rapid heartbeat. Diagnosed with anxiety. Looking for cure?

I am dizzy, with strong, rapid heartbeat in spells; working on the 6th one in the last 4 hours. went to hospital 3 1/2 weeks ago stayed over night diagnosis anxiety sent home with asprin. black female 69 years old
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 minutes later

Dizziness coupled with heart rhythm disturbances is a condition which has to be studies well in detail.

You may need a test named Holter heart monitoring which records EKG for whole 24 hours and can pick any sort of rhythm disturbances you have.Management can be planned according to the test results.

Anxiety disorders also can result into increased heart rate coupled with headache and other minor symptoms.When increased heart rate is associated with dizziness heart conditions have to be ruled out.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy and rapid heartbeat. Diagnosed with anxiety. Looking for cure? 4 days later
I have discovered that an overactive thyroid can produce the same symptoms as an anxiety/panic attack. What is the basic difference for the thyroid malfunction and an anxiety attack? Is there a test for an overactive thyroid. Somehow your answer did not come to my email. I had to go back to the original question for the answer. I had to return to the original question to see the answer. Would you please send the answer to my email. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, you are right in saying that over active thyroid can cause the symptoms you have.Anxiety can also have much similar symptoms hence it would become necessary to rule out heart conditions and thyroid over-activity before considering anxiety as diagnosis.

A test named Thyroid profile including TSH, T3 and T4 will differentiate the symptoms you have from those due to anxiety.

Hope I answered your query,

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy and rapid heartbeat. Diagnosed with anxiety. Looking for cure? 4 hours later
What does the TSH, T3, and T4 test consist of? I am on medicare and have limited funds. Is it expensive?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Tsh , T3 and T4 are thyroid hormones. Estimation of their levels will help to rule out overactive thyroid.

Tests are not expensive, I think they are covered under the insurance you mentioned.