Feeling dizzy and nauseous. Noticed bruise on ear. How to cure this?

ENT Specialist
Husband grabbed both ears tightly yesterday pulling hard and shaking my head wildly. This made me dizzy and nauseas. Ears are badly bruised, burning, blocked and non stop ringing. Head hurts a lot. Can this cause damage and what do I do?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

The ears being made of supple cartilage has got a thin layer of skin adherent over the cartilage which will get bruised very easily. And, the pain is due to swelling produced below the inflamed area which will stretch the skin from the adhering cartilage. External bruises over the ear will heal up within a matter of one week without any intervention.

Dizziness and tinnitus is due to disturbance in the semicircular canal of the inner ear, which would have displaced the otoliths (microscopic stone like structures present at the corner of the canal).

Do not worry! This is not something life threatening. I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist for a complete examination of the ear and expert management. Also, the doctor may perform a vestibular test such as Hallpike's maneuver to confirm the diagnosis.

Meanwhile, take bed rest for a day or two. Avoid lifting heavy objects and shaking of the head. Take anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for the relief of pain.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon