Feeling dizzy and nausea while laying down along with numbness on foot. Cause and cure?

When I lay down my head starts pumping I feel dizzy and nauseous. My right foot also goes numb. I have to sleep sitting up.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

The details that were given here are meagre. It would be better if you can describe the problem in detail with onset, progression of dizziness. What increase and decreases the dizziness. Do you have any other associated problems? Do you go breathless while you lie down?

I also could find that you had couple of major surgeries earlier. Lumbar discectomy seem that you already have degenerative spine disease. Is it progressing to the cervical part of the spine? It needs to be checked.

With the minor details I could think of these
1) Cervical spondylosis
2) Orthostatic Hypotension
3) Anemia
4) Nutritional deficiency.

If you get a chance to XXXXXXX your primary physician soon please talk about these entities. Further testing is required.

Please come up with more history to understand you better.
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy and nausea while laying down along with numbness on foot. Cause and cure? 7 hours later
The onset of symptoms was two dad ago I ha a headache which came on quite quickly. I thought it wa a migraine and it wasn't until I laid down and it got a lt worse and my neck was tender. I thought maybe I strained my neck. I work as a microbiologist in a medical laboratory and have a staphylococcus aureus infection on my arm. I have had a slow nosebleed today. I am not prone to nosebleeds. My lumbar discectomy was in November last year. I had viral meningitis caused by arbovirus in XXXXXXX last year after some foreign travel. My blood pressure is 104/69 which is normal for me.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 53 minutes later
The sudden onset of symptoms are possibility after an injury to the neck. This can happen in spondylosis. Since you were also complaining of headache and neck tenderness the first possibility of cervical spondylosis is still in my mind. The other things are sinusitis or Rhinitis ( nose bleed and headache worsens on lying down). Staph aureus frequently resides in the mucosa of the nose.

I would suggest you to get Xray of the cervical spine and paranasal sinuses. Get BP testing done while lying down, while sitting and standing. It helps in understanding the fluctuating BP at various positions.

Let me know if you have further queries about these possibilities.