Feeling dizzy and light headed due to positional changes. Causes and treatment?

I feel dizzy lightheaded when turn position, hav been v sick, whats the problem and treatment?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 51 minutes later

From your history, you seem to be suffering from vertigo. The positional changes leading to vertigo make BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) a possibility in your case.
I suggest the following:

1. You need to visit an ENT specialist who can carry out a detailed clinical examination as well as perform a few tests to rule out other common causes of vertigo such as inner ear infection (labyrinthitis), Impacted wax in the ear, Meniere's disease, Dehydration, acoustic neuromas , migraine, etc.

2. Anti vertigo drugs are available on prescription. You can get them prescribed by your physician.

3. Certain repositioning maneuvers can help in symptomatic relief of the symptoms. Your ENT specialist can train you those methods.

4. In addition, the following need to be excluded:
- Did you have a recent history of travel?
-Does the light headedness trouble you all the time or is it present only at specific times of the day?
-Do you feel weakness in general? If yes please get your complete blood counts with hemoglobin estimation done?
- Do you suffer from motion sickness?
- Do you have any other associated complaints like: palpitations, a previous episode of unconsciousness, difficulty in vision, headache, tinnitus or ringing in the ears, earache?
- Did you ever have your blood pressure measured recently? If not please get it measured?
- Did you have any episode of trauma to ears?

Hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if you have any follow up query.