Feeling dizzy and headaches. CT scan revealed sinustitis. Undergone ballon sinuplasty. What can be done further?

Nov 2013

Good Morning!

I've been suffering from a few things... since back in August I started getting these off-balance dizzy spells and headaches, every single day. I've been to the ENT, had an ENG test, gone to Vestibular therapy. A CT Scan of my head revealed that I had sinusitis that was pretty bad, so they did a balloon sinuplasty and that really did help with the pressure in my ears, which was great. It's been 1-month to the date of the procedure and my sinuses are ok, but the dizziness and headaches are very much still with me. I have no idea where to go or where to turn. I do have alot of stress because I work 2 jobs and lately my anxiety is up because I'm always scared of this horrible feeling... I feel like I'm going to die when it hits and it's horrible... This passing out feeling is the worst I've ever experienced. My mom wants me to try massage therapy because I do have alot of stress and tension and she also wants me to try maybe seeing somebody for my neck... I just dont' know what do do anymore and I feel hopeless... ;/
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I appreciate the detailed description, as it helped. It is unfortunate that your symptoms persist despite treatment.

The most likely possibility in your case is migrainous vertigo. Since you have frequent symptoms, preventive medications may be useful. Commonly used medications in these situations include divalproex, Topiramate, etc. For relief of symptoms, you could take betahistine for dizziness and rizatriptan for headaches.

Massage therapy would be useful to reduce the stress and muscle spasm that happens with stress.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist