Feeling dizzy and having panic attacks. Will it lead to a stroke?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi! I have suddenly felt dizzy in church and I don't usually feel like that. I lost my husband 7 weeks ago and I am having panic attacks. I just hope that I'm not having a stroke. Thanks.. XXXX.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query. I am sorry about your husband.
Well,stroke would have some other symptoms such as loss of sensation, loss of movement ability, loss of speech ability etc. Of course, emotional factors and anxiety are the first thing to think of and if this was just short dizziness then you dont have to be worried. If this happens again then most possible, it could be transitory ischemic attack which is temporary blood flow disorder and in most cases it doesnt require any treatment. Also ,dizziness can be caused not just by neurologic and emotional but also by heart disorders.
So at this point try to rest,take enough fluids,regulate your blood sugar and BP.
And when you visit doctor ask him for some tests to rule out heart arrythmias( ecg,holter ecg) and neurologic disorders(cevical vessels doppler and ct head scan).
These tests would rule out any serious condition,but I still think this is all caused by emotional stress and if there was crowd and the church was closed than lack of oxygen is one of the factors too.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards