Feeling dizzy. Diagnosed as depression and bipolar disease. Looking for permanent solution

Question
My mother is having problem that she is fit in summers while having problems like dizziness ,doesnt want to talk,take tension,crying.Doc has diagonse depression last year she was fit for a yr she was taking LAMITOR OD and Ammexide.Now she got problem in summers looks as if all energy got drained off again we consulted doctor he has she has Bi polar disorder nw he added one more tablet stalopan plus however with this tablet her condition got worse.Today i consulted one more neurologist he recommeded that discontinue the new medicine take old 2 medicine with the added medicine daxid 25mg for a week..PLz suggest what to do.She is having this problem since last 12 years.We are not able to find the permanent solution.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I think there is a problem with the diagnosis that is being made for your mother or there is some part of the history that you have missed.
Please answer the following questions so that I can help you better:
a. Has she ever had fits/seizures?
b. Can she sleep properly at night?
c. Does she have frequent mood swings?
d. Off late ( before the Stalopan was added), have you noticed an increase in her energy levels, happiness, talking irrelevant things?
e. Where are you based?
f. Has she ever seen a psychotherapist?
g. What is her general mood like? Has she ever tried to harm herself?

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy. Diagnosed as depression and bipolar disease. Looking for permanent solution 11 hours later
No she doesnt get fits.
She doesnt gt proper sleep
No she doesnt hav mood swings.however dese days sometimes she is ok wid full energy level and sometimes she is depressed
Ven she is ok she talks fine work a lot happy too roam arnd watxh tv but ven she is not fine energy le evel zero she doesnt talk fear to go out
No we hav not visited
M staying in noida while mom stays in firozabad
Ya ven she is not fine she thinks to do sth to her

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Your mother definitely has bipolar disorder. Unfortunately, there is no permanent solution for this. I would agree with the treatment suggested by the new psychiatrist you have seen. She can continue with the old medication and start with Daxid as well.
We should also be looking at psychotherapy sessions for her. Please see a good psychotherapist in your area.
Let me know if you have any more questions

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy. Diagnosed as depression and bipolar disease. Looking for permanent solution 4 hours later
Doctor is it possible to talk to u over phone or may be if ur based nearby den we can visit you

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 minute later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am based in Bangalore, so it would be difficult to schedule a meeting. If you can share your number, I'll be happy to call you.

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy. Diagnosed as depression and bipolar disease. Looking for permanent solution 7 hours later
0000
Thanks doc
My mom number is 91 0000

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Should we call you tomorrow morning or right away?