Feeling dizzy. BP normal, 22 yr old. Any idea why ?

ENT Specialist
why am i getting dizzyiv been dizzy since yesterday morning and it hasent goton any better its goton worse i have eaten and i drink plenty of water and my blood preshir is fine what could it be doc can u help me
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy. BP normal, 22 yr old. Any idea why ? 18 minutes later
it feels like im walking on a water bed
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. May I know your age?
Do you have history of any illness - ear / neck related problems or head injury? Any headaches or migraine? Any hyperacidity or recent cold?

2. I will be able to guide you better about the possible cause if you can provide me more details of your dizziness like:
a. The exact moment when it all started,
b. How often and how long do the episodes last? Is it continuous?
c. Any other associated symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting or sweating?
d. I need to know if your hearing is normal. Does it fluctuate? Do you get any sounds (tinnitus) or fullness in the ear?
e. Is the dizziness true vertigo (spinning of the surrounding) or only unsteadiness.
f. Is the dizziness only when you change position (such as lie down or sit up)? Can you walk without support? Do you get dizzy when you turn in bed or look up while climbing stairs?
g. Is your vision clear or blurred? Is there any tendency to blackout?

3. Lastly, it is also important to consult a neurologist to rule out Parkinson's syndrome and other neurological degenerations that can cause such symptoms. (MRI scans may not be enough to pick these conditions).

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy. BP normal, 22 yr old. Any idea why ? 7 hours later
it started at 530 in the morning saterday its just a constant dizzyness it hasent gone away and iv been sweting alot my hearing sounds alittle pluged it both vertigo and unsteadiness i have to have my hand on sometiing to give me soport all the time my vishion is clear and im 22 years of age pls help me dr
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your reply.

1. If you have woken up with vertigo and dizziness which makes it difficult to get out of bed; with short spells of severe vertigo on change of position, then this is an attack similar to BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo).

2. The tinnitus (ear sounds) and ear fullness suggest Meniere's Disease. However you are very young to get both these conditions.

3. If you have had a cold, this is vestibular neuronitis or labyrinthitis (hearing is affected).

4. All these conditions are commonly seen and should subside. However, you need medical attention in the acute phase.

5. Excessive alcohol or drug abuse may also cause similar symptoms.

Get someone to help you get to a hospital or clinic for a thorough examination and medication.