Feeling discomfort, pain and stiffness in hip. Heard popping sound. Any relief?

I have had a strange side pain for over 4 years now. I have seen a neurologist and still have no answers.
There is a large amount of constant discomfort. I can not lay on or touch my left side without major discomfort. The pain is hard to explain since it is not like a bruise or sore type pain. It seems to be more of an irritation. The left hip has less mobility and becomes very stiff. Sometimes it will make a popping sound which will hurt a bit, but bring some relief. Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 15 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
I do understand your concern.
I think you should have a MRI of the affected hip.Hip problems may give rise to pain like that.
Kindly consult a orthopedic for your problem.
For the time being take acetaminophen tablets to relieve the pain.
Hope this answers your query.
If you have any other queries kindly direct them to me.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Feeling discomfort, pain and stiffness in hip. Heard popping sound. Any relief? 12 minutes later
I believe I had an MRI when this first occurred. Nothing was found.
I have seen specialist and have received no answer. Still I have the same pain and discomfort. It almost gives me an anxiety feeling when my side is touched or laid on.
The discomfort runs from above my waistline to my upper to mid thigh.
any further suggestions or help would be nice
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 10 minutes later
This seems to be a case of neuralgia.Local gels and mild neural analgesics should help.Consult a neurologist.