Feeling discomfort in neck, muscular pain in arms and legs

I am expericing discomfort in my neck the back side and the a little bit on the front..the muscles on touching are hard .
secondly I have frequent muscular aches mostly in my arms and legs (below the knee)..
Kinldy advice
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 49 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
From the details you have provided, the back pain seems to be due to para-spinal muscle spasm. This means that the muscles around the vertebral column have gone into spasm. It’s common to get such spasm when you overstrain your neck or back ( like when you maintain a wrong posture) or sleep in an odd position.
I would suggest that you maintain a proper posture ( keep your back straight) and heat application. You can apply heat using a heating pad or a hot water bottle. Do not use the heating pad in bed, you can end up with burns. Also, you can apply diclofenac gel (available as Volini gel) on the area where you have pain. If the pain still persists, you can take a pain killer. You can take Tablet Disprin 1 tablet dissolved in water with food. If the pain still persists, you would need a muscle relaxant. This is a prescription drug and you would need to see a physician for this.
Frequent muscular pain in limbs can be due dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. So always keep yourself well hydrated and maintain electrolyte balance by taking adequate salt.
If you get recurrent neck pain, then Xray of cervical spine may be needed.
Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can help you further.
Follow-up: Feeling discomfort in neck, muscular pain in arms and legs 6 hours later
Thanks for the answer doctor..
one more thing is pain in neck radiated as a discomfort to the sides of the neck gives a weird feeling when i touch the muscles are stiff .
also..the xray of the neck shows..Loss of cervical spondylosis with para spinal muscle spasm.
does this cause pain around shoulders also..?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

Yes, such radiating and shoulder symptoms can also be present, especially if that is associated with pinched nerve. Pinched nerve is common issue associated with cervical spondylosis. These symptoms are felt along the path of nerve. So shoulder and muscle spasm symptoms are due to neck issues.

If you have already done X-ray of neck, discuss with your doctor about the possibility of cervical spondylosis.

After primary evaluation by x-ray, more detailed investigation by Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of cervical spine should be considered. An appropriate treatment can be planned after that.

Hope this answers your question.