Feeling discomfort down low above collar bone while swallowing. Any cure?

Cardiologist
Question
Since yestarday I have discomfort when I swallow not in throat but down low above collar bone in middle.

Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail wit diligence.
Though a radiological investigation like Barium Swallow will give the diagnosis. But ea answers to few questions help on our way to establish it.
Did the complain confined to liquids as well as to solids?
Did it start suddenly or first to either type of food?
Do you feel any general symptoms like malaise, lack of appetite, loss of weigt?
Do you have pain in throat or pain brought about by food?oki

Looking forward to hear from you.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Feeling discomfort down low above collar bone while swallowing. Any cure? 7 hours later
It came on suddenly yesterday and lasted for about 3 hours. I then woke up with it this morning and this time it lasted for about 2 hours. It doesnt seem to be food related but is uncomfortable when I swallow generally. I am otherwise well.
The discomfort is very low down in my throat and feels bruised. Thankyou for your time'

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

The area you are referring to you is junction of food pipe that is esophagus meets pharynx (the part you can see behind teeth) when tongue is depressed with spoon and light is shown with torch. It is not a cause for panic but definitely of immediate concern. It must be very late in the evening in Australia at this moment, so you have plan a visit to the doctor. I suggest this way you have clear plan for you.
If pain is so severe that you can not swallow body temperature (not hot not cold) fluids like tea or juice. Do warm saline gargles if it is clear and you can take some liquid nutrition perhaps you can wait till coming day to see a doctor. If either the passage fluid is too painful or the return of warm saline gargles is blackish or reddish, then it becomes an emergency. Ask someone, to accompany you to the nearest ER or call 000 from landline or 112 from mobile if alone to be taken to ER. That means you need even for hydration and nutrition intravenous fluids. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW