Feeling difficulty and cold in throat after stress test done. Is this an allergy?

Pediatrician
Question
My throat ever since yesterday has been bothering me. I had a stress test done and ever since then my throat has felt kind of cold an bothersome...a little tingly at times. Is this an allergy? OR am I coming down with a cold? I am not stuffy and no fever I don't think. I am tired but I think its becuase I didn't get a good nights sleep. Its just when I breathe my throat feels cold? any suggestions on what it is and what I can take for it? I do take xanax sometimes too (FYI just in case with OTC interaction meds you may prefer)
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

It is very difficult to tell whether you are developing a throat infection without having a look at it. Nevertheless the description suggests that you may land up with a congested throat and this may just be the beginning. It is difficult to say whether it is an allergy or a viral infection.

A good night's sleep will certainly help you. However, if the symptom persists you can have a decongestant tablet like pseudoephedrine three times a day.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: Feeling difficulty and cold in throat after stress test done. Is this an allergy? 2 hours later
My chest and throat have also been feeling "heavy" on and off for over a week.
I don't know if the other reply was submitted but would nightime severe cold and flu work? or should I stick with sudafed? I can't sleep if I take sudafed and it is evening now....any other suggstion if you don't think the theraflu will help?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

Though Sudafed makes one drowsy but if it does not suit you then you can try the other flu medicine that you have. If you feeling heavy on the chest then I suggest that you consult a doctor in the morning.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK

Follow-up: Feeling difficulty and cold in throat after stress test done. Is this an allergy? 31 minutes later
I have been to a cardiologist..Yesterday I had a Stress test and an ultra sound of the heart since I may have a murmur and occasional palpitations. I am currently wearing a holtor monitor. I mentioned the heavy chest but nothing was really said about it. He said my stress test looked fine but still waiting on the ultra sound results and will follow up in 2 weeks unless they call me with bad news. I have been to teh dr alot the past month...I had bronchitis and a tooth infection last month..do you think if the heaviness was serious the dr would have been more concerned about it? I really don't want to go back to my doctor since I have been to her 4 times in teh past month! I feel stupid going back again. I am not sure if its really a heavy feeling but that is the only way I can describe it..its not tight..I am sure you really don't know what to say about it anymore except go to my doctor. Could it be asthma???

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for the update.

Yes, I had noted the details of your cardiology work up and shall have to wait for the holter report. The echocardiography would have picked up the murmur and the doctor would have shared the information with you. As your stress test is normal there is nothing to worry about the cardiac condition. The heaviness of the chest is not due to a cardiac condition.

You mention that you had bronchitis last month and have seasonal allergies. Bronchitis can give rise to a feeling of the heaviness of the chest. In asthma one develops night cough and have difficulty in breathing which, fortunately, you do not have.

I hope I have responded to your doubts.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK