Feeling depressed and having problem with memory. What is wrong?

For the last 2 or 3 years i having been having these episodes where i will be my normal self then suddenly out of the blue and for no reason at all i will feel down and miserable for the next few days up like a couple of weeks, i also have a very bad problem with memory in that it is near enough none existant people can tell me things and then i can forget them almost instantly. any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

It appears that you may be going through recurrent depressive episodes. In addition to the lows in mood, the difficulty in attention, concentration and memory are also well-known features of depression. I would suggest that you have a detailed psychological assessment done in order to clarify this. Good treatment options are available for this - in the form of medication (such as anti-depressants or mood stabilizers) or psychotherapy (like CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy, etc.)

I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment. Early initiation of appropriate treatment will prevent further episodes leading on to socio-occupational dysfunction.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist