Feeling depressed. Eyelids twitches and getting bad dreams. What is going on?

Hi My age is 23. Am a software prfoeesional. I have work but still not much that could depress me. I always used to feel lonely and somtimes self pity from my childhood days. I always feel more depressed now a days. My eyelids twitches daily. I keep thinking all the time but I dont know waht I think. Now a days I get bad dreams and I feel scared of nothing. I have a guilt feel all the time. I get more emotional and even cry if someone dies in a movie am not that weak earlier. I dont get sleep now a days. I work on shifts but still its now I feel am deprived of sleep. Can you help me to know if am mentally stable. Thanks
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

I am sorry that you are feeling unwell.

Health is thought of being physical, mental, spiritual and emotional wellness.

There are a number of different mental conditions that can lead a person to be unwell. The most common mental illnesses are mood disorders such as depression, anxiety disorders( these two are often associated together), adjustment disorder where a person experience significantly more difficult adjustment to a situation than would be expected, psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia, personality disorders and somatoform disorders where the symptoms suggest a medical condition but none can be found. There are a number of other mental illnesses.

Feeling sad a lot and guilty can be seen in some of the above illnesses especially major depression however for major depression to be diagnosed you would need to see a doctor for them to ask you a few questions and conduct a mental health examination which would include assessing your appearance and your affect which is the emotional tone/response the person expresses. A person’s affect is described as it may be appropriate or inappropriate.

The diagnosis of depression and any mental illness requires the person to fulfil certain criteria.

For depression these criteria are as follows:

(1)feeling sad/depressed most of the time,
(2)extreme loss of interest in normal activities
(3)weight loss when not dieting or weight gain or a decrease in appetite
(4)difficulty sleeping or sleeping more than usual
(5)fatigue and loss of energy
(6)difficulty concentrating or indecisiveness
(7)recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation
(8)psychomotor retardation or agitation ( decrease or increase in activity brought about by mental tension.)
(9)feeling of worthlessness

The diagnosis requires at least 5 of these for a 2 week period.

Before any mental illness is diagnosed, a doctor would normally perform blood test and in some cases imaging tests such as a CT scan to make sure there is no other reason for the symptoms. For example a low thyroid can cause change in mood in some persons.

For a proper diagnosis you would need to see a doctor for a complete assessment. You may also want to get assessed regarding the difficulty sleeping; there is a condition where persons who work shifts can experience a sleep disorder.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any additional questions.