Feeling corn kernel stuck in throat under tonsil. What could this possibly be?

Aug 2012

For the past 2 days I have had this feeling as if there is a corn kernel stuck in my throat under my left tonsil. It's extremely annoying as every time I try to swallow nothing happens and it's still there. There is no pain and I cannot reach it to see what it is else I'll puke all over the place. I also cannot see anything back there. Prior to this occuring I had some throat pain almost like that of an incoming strep throat. That pain lasted a few days and slowly went away and I was left with this extremely annoying feeling in my throat. Eating seems to make it go away temporarily and drinking liquids has no affect. Sometimes after I drink a lot really fast it almost feels as if the sensation moves from the below the left tonsil to the center/back of my throat, still out of view.

What could this possibly be? Do you have any remedies I could try to resolve this?
I'd also like to point out that I have had some nasal drainage down the throat over the past few days. Also, on occasion my throat would get really dry. Hope this helps.
Another follow up, I checked my temp when I had gotten home from work 3 hours ago and it was 98.5, just took it and it is now 99.1. My normal range is 97.5 to 98.5. Could this be indicative of a throat infection and the feeling I am having is my throat just being swollen? I work in retail so I deal with a lot of people on a daily basis so I may have contracted something from a sick customer.

Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 3 hours later

I can understand the discomfort you are having due to this problem. However, the feeling of having a corn kernel stuck near your tonsil is quite common post viral/ bacterial infection of the throat. This is taking little more time in you to disappear. Just ignore it for a few more days.

Make sure your general health is well maintained so that you do not easily get infections contracted from general public work environment.

The temperature fluctuations, which you have mentioned here, are normal and not suggestive of fever as long as the temperature does not jump beyond 100 for more than few hours. Be assured that your symptoms are 'no worry' at all.

You can try gargling with salted warm water 2 to 3 times a day and avoid harshly cold food items for a few days. Your symptoms will certainly improve. If you have a habit of chewing gum them instead of that try some sugar free/ with sugar lozenges like strepsil.

Hope this helps. Feel free to get back if symptoms have not gone after 10 to 15 days.

Good luck.
Follow-up: Feeling corn kernel stuck in throat under tonsil. What could this possibly be? 18 minutes later

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. I really appreciate it. :)

After further mouth inspection I have discovered that the sensation at the back of my through is being caused by my uvula! When I close my mouth my uvula will slide towards the back of my throat along my tongue and cause the sensation. As soon as I open my mouth, lifting my uvula off my tongue, the sensation is gone.

I can positively say that my uvula has never done this and I honestly can't tell if my uvula is swollen or infected or not as I don't often open my mouth and inspect my uvula. :P However, I can say that there are no white spots on my uvula that would typically indicate an infection of some sort.

What could cause my uvula to do this? It is very weird!

Thanks, XXXXXXX :)
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later

I got your point. However, I would still suggest waiting for a couple of weeks. May be the uvula was inflamed and irritated during your last throat infection and that is recovering now. If there is nothing wrong with you in general like no fever, no pain then no need to worry.

However, if the uvula continues acting like this, then certainly show to an ENT doctor and he/she would assess the neuronal function of your body, cranial nerves especially, he/she would thoroughly check your throat and shall guide you further.

Primarily I feel you would be ok after a week or so.

Wish you good luck.