Feeling constipated and noticed yellow stringy discharge. Is this normal?

I am a 19 yr. old female and I was wondering why i have discharge in my poop I have been haveing it for a while now it started out clear an I thought it was normal just tonight when i tried to poop i felt a littel constipated wiped my self an there was yellow stringy discharge mixed in with my poop. Is the normal? If not what could it be...

Sorry for going into so much detal but when I saw it it scared me....
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Some small amount of mucus in the stools in normally present. But of the amount of mucus is excessive it could be due to many reasons,like, bacterial infection,colitis, parasitic infection,IBS,intolerance to some foods,hemorrhoids etc.
You should get a routine stool examination done which will help rule out some causes.After that if the stool examination is normal, and you still have mucus,then a colonoscopy may be needed.